Permanent Chief Data Scientist
The Chief Data Scientist position is a newly created role within a privately-held organisation working in the logistics and commodities industries. The company operates several integrated businesses globally within these areas. It combines strong operational capability with the tools to help customers manage their risk and cost.
The Chief Data Scientist will be responsible for introducing Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (A.I./Machine Learning) into the organisation.
The Chief Data Scientist will be working with the Executive Management team to assist them to meet their business objectives through the optimizing of operations, providing actionable business insights and predictive analysis.
This is an outstanding opportunity for you to contribute to growing and entrepreneurial business in creative and meaningful ways. This ‘greenfield’ role will allow you to apply complex analytics to large data sets, using innovative tooling in order to bring tangible results to real-world business problems.
The primary focus for the Chief Data Scientist will be:
- Evaluate the organization’s current structured and unstructured data sources for completeness, uniqueness, timeliness, validity, accuracy and consistency.
- Creating a roadmap for enhancing the collection of data, establishing a data management strategy and setting data standards/governance.
- To work with the Executive Management team to understand their drivers, KPIs and SWOTs.
- Identify data science techniques, tools and applications that can provide detailed operational and predictive insights into relevant business areas.
- Working with the CTO to ensure the data structures and IT system architectures are optimized for access, cleansing, verification and analysis.
- To present a business case clearly articulating the development path and key milestones of the Data Science function within the Group.
To be suitable for this role you will have:
- Strong technical analysis skills supported by a Master’s degree and potentially a PhD (Math or Statistics based is preferred).
- Experience of data base technologies (SQL), programming frameworks, development languages (python, R), prototyping and data visualization tools.
- Commercial experience of introducing AI/Machine Learning into an enterprise.
- Worked post-educationally for circa 10 years to include commercial/industrial (non-Finance) Multi-National Companies.
- The business acumen to understand what key business insights will add most value to current and future operations.
- The ability to communicate in English with the Executive management team in a manner that is succinct, relevant and engaging for a business audience.
- To be pragmatic in terms of the pace and appetite of the business for change.